Enrollment Process for IHSS Care Providers in Marin County
State law requires that all In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) Care Providers go through an enrollment process and pass a background check from the Department of Justice (DOJ) to be eligible for payment from the IHSS program. This process includes attending a two-hour orientation that covers the basics of the IHSS program and a 30-minute presentation by a Union representative.
To enroll as an IHSS Care Provider you must complete three (3) steps:
1. Visit the Enrollment website by clicking on the “Continue to Enrollment” icon at the bottom of this page. At this website you will:
- Watch the mandatory enrollment video
- Fill in the application information
- Pick an available date to come to the IHSS Public Authority Office to attend an orientation, sign required forms, have your photo ID and Social Security card scanned and be fingerprinted (cost, $45 dollars).
IMPORTANT: Starting August of 2017, the IHSS Public Authority will offer mandatory, group orientations. These sessions will run approximately two hours (2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.) and they will be offered in English (First and Third Wednesdays of every month) and Spanish (Second and Third Wednesdays of every month). When you reach the page that allows you to schedule an Appointment, please select either the “Public Authority of Marin English Only Orientation” or Public Authority of Marin Spanish Only Orientation” and pick the date that best accommodates your schedule. All potential IHSS Care Providers must attend this orientation; otherwise, enrollment might not be possible.
2. Go to the IHSS Public Authority office on the date and time you have confirmed on the enrollment website.
- Bring your original Social Security card – copies are NOT accepted
- Bring your current valid Driver’s License or U.S. Government issued photo ID
- If you are getting fingerprinted at the IHSS Public Authority office, bring the $45 fee using cash, debit or credit card. No personal checks are accepted.
3. It is not mandatory to be fingerprinted during the orientation; you may get fingerprinted at an outside vendor using the form given to you by the Public Authority staff during that orientation.
(NOTE: Even if you are being fingerprinted somewhere else, you must stay for the entire session except for the fingerprinting part).
Once enrolled as an IHSS Care Provider, complete the Provider Packet that you receive from your Care Recipient or their Social Worker. This must be completed before you will be mailed your first timesheet.